Tuesday, February 26, 2013

New Beginnings



Life often provides me with experiences that seem hard or near impossible to describe in words.  Of course, not one to accept defeat easily, I somehow manage to push through and find a way to describe what it is that I experienced, but it's a challenge, nonetheless.  It seems that experiences like this have been happening an awful lot lately.

This past Sunday was a new day.  We started a new church.  Not something that happens every day nor something that everyone sets out to accomplish in their lifetime.  It's also not necessarily the best description of what happened on Sunday as the details behind it are far more intricate and detailed than that, but now is not the time nor is this the place to explain the back story that led to it.  The long and short of it is this: God is doing a new thing with people who are ready to stop playing church and start being the church.

I'm not sure what next Sunday will hold, but if this past Sunday was any indication, good things are in store for Church in Restoration.  It's not perfect, it's not complete, but it sure was a pretty good start.  Not sure I've ever heard of a church "plant" that starts out with over 700 people on its first Sunday, but then again, we're not the typical church plant.

The thing of it is, the numbers aren't really important.  What's most important to me and the other leadership is this: that Jesus Christ be lifted high and exalted and that others might know the restoration that He brings to our lives.  If we had 3000 people next week and there was no impact on those who had never experienced the life-changing power of Jesus Christ, then it would be a waste to me.

I left a lucrative career to pursue full-time vocational ministry.  That doesn't make me better than anyone else, I did it because that's what I felt like God was calling me to do.  I did it because I didn't feel like I was making a difference where I was.  I've met plenty of people who were and are making a difference doing the very thing that I left, but it just didn't work for me.  Over the last few years, since my kids were born, I have had a strong desire to let them see and know how important it is to me to make a difference.

I think we're making a difference, but only time will tell.  I'm not taking any of the credit, because it is God that is at work within me.  It's gonna be a wild ride, but I can't wait to see what happens.  If nothing else, we'll at least say that we tried our best to make a difference for Christ.  I'll let you know what happens next week!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete