Monday, January 14, 2013

Promises



I keep trying to find some time to get rest and it seems fairly elusive.  Not only have I been seeking physical rest, but mental and emotional rest as well.  I've always been a firm believer in holistic approach towards health in ourselves, and while I certainly don't excel at it, the consciousness of it at least helps me to be aware and strive towards it.

After a fairly draining week and weekend last week, I told my wife that I was waiting to see our rainbow.  I've written before about rainbows in my blog here.  From a biblical perspective, the rainbow is a powerful symbol of God's promise and provision.  After the flood, when Noah and his family left the ark for the first time since they had entered it, God gave them a rainbow as a promise that He would never again flood the earth to the same degree and severity.

In my request for a rainbow, what I was really saying was that I was ready for some kind of promise that all that we have been through and had to deal with over the past few years could stop and we could begin to experience some peace and rest.  I laughed to myself as I recalled a song that I sang during Advent this past December called "Rest (Song of the Innkeeper)."  The chorus repeated the line, "I need rest."  It seemed somewhat prophetic to me.

I am reminded of Jesus' words in John 16:33, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."  Where am I looking for peace?  What is the definition to me?  Am I envisioning some kind of utopian life where everything is perfect and no trouble ever befalls me?  Jesus never promised that to me or any of us.  He did promise that He would never leave us or turn His back on us if we are called His children.

This morning, when I walked outside with my son to the bus stop, we looked up in the sky and saw a rainbow.  It took me a minute to remember the request that I had made, and while I certainly don't think that the rainbow was meant only for me, it sure brought a smile to my face.  Troubles will still come, the rain will fall, but I know that there are still promises of God to cling to and hold on to.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment