Thursday, September 13, 2012

Represent



I have been reading through the minor prophets in the Old Testament during my daily Bible reading.  The other day, I read through the book of Haggai.  As I was reading through it, I paused at a verse in chapter 2.  God is speaking to Haggai and he tells him to bring a message to Zerubbabel, who is the king and governor.  In verse 23, it says, "‘On that day,’ declares the Lord Almighty, ‘I will take you, my servant Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel,’ declares the Lord, ‘and I will make you like my signet ring, for I have chosen you,’ declares the Lord Almighty."

I thought about the significance of a signet ring.  We don't often use them in today's culture the way that they once were used.  In more ancient times, when letters were sent, they were sealed with signet rings to show that they were official.  Nowadays, when someone graduates from high school or college, it is common for them to have rings that contain the crest of the school from which they graduate.  It seems that the bearer of the symbol is identifying themselves with whatever that symbol stands for.

When God told Zerubbabel that he would make him like a signet ring, he was telling him that he would give him all authority and power that came with being a representative of the One True God.  He would be an ambassador of the Lord Almighty.  In fact, Zerubbabel was more than just a representative of God, he was used by God in the lineage of Jesus (see Matthew 1).

What a significant thing.  It makes me stop and give pause to the idea of what I am representing by the symbols that I put on.  Sometimes we wear our labels on our sleeves, literally.  What do we represent when we put something on?  Do we convey a message when we wear certain things?  What's our message?

Zerubbabel was given the privilege to be like a signet ring.  Do I live my life as a signet ring of the Lord?  Do I take advantage of the power that I have been given through him?  Do I represent in a manner that is appropriate and becoming of one called by God?  I guess I can think about it this way, if I were a signet ring, whose signet ring would I be?  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment