Sunday, September 11, 2011

Memorial

Today is a day of remembering. It marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on 9/11/01. It was also my mom's birthday. My father and brother are taking part in a memorial service in our hometown today. They planted a tree yesterday in memory of mom. Many will gather today to honor my mom's life, sharing how she impacted and influenced them throughout her life.

I remember the morning of September 11th, 2001. I was working in New Haven, CT and I arrived to work a little late. Our family had celebrated my mom's birthday the night before at my house in Stratford, CT. I remember the powerlessness that I felt as the events unfolded, unable to do anything other than pray. I remember trying to contact my cousin who worked in Manhattan and whose work often had him interacting with the Port Authority, whose offices were in the World Trade Center.

Watching events unfold without the capacity or capability to do anything about them is difficult. As humans, we always try to control things. We like to think and believe that we can handle anything that comes our way. I think that 9/11 changed that in some ways. Of course, many with resolve stood firm and continued to believe that they were still able to face anything, regardless of the gravity or loss involved.

I've never been a particular fan of Fall. Everyone loves the leaves and the cooler temperatures, but to me, it has always meant a time of transition, a time when things begin to die before winter. The melancholy in me is accentuated during the Fall and I probably come across as wickedly depressed.

10 years after 9/11, my family is awaiting the arrival of our new little baby which will make us a family of 5. I will be the only one whose birthday doesn't fall within the 4 week period between September 20th and October 14th. It's still hard to love the Fall though.

As I reflect on this day and what it holds, I can't help but remind myself that I need to make the most of what is in front of me. I don't know how long I will be around, but I do know that there is a new day waiting for me to take part in it. My story is continuing to be written and it will intersect with the stories of many others. I pray that I might allow the story of God which lives within me to shine to all of those who I encounter today.

1 comment: